SNORKELLING OR SCUBA DIVING
- Don't touch the coral. It's alive, and you'll crush the polyps.
- Apply a biodegradable sunscreen, then wait at least 15 minutes before you jump into the water. Some 20,000 tons of suntan lotion washes off beachgoers each year; the chemicals boost viruses in seawater and block the sun corals need to grow.
- Use moorings, not anchor chains, which break coral branches.
- Avoid fish, like grouper and shark, that are caught in ways that harm other marine life. ( Get a pocket guide on the Monterey Bay Aquarium website; click on "seafood Watch.")
- Don't buy anything made from endangered coral.
- Tell the club manager that pesticides and fertilisers, good for fairways, are bad for coral. What happens on land does not stay on land.